1993-11-12 - Re: Should we oppose the Data Superhighway/NII?

Header Data

From: gtoal@an-teallach.com (Graham Toal)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 6c5ea887f90e3646ee8c589a505c5d2eb53e6e0937f13a97b728f424c055b0e1
Message ID: <753109212snz@an-teallach.com>
Reply To: <9311111430.AA28017@snark.lehman.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-11-12 13:09:32 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 12 Nov 93 05:09:32 PST

Raw message

From: gtoal@an-teallach.com (Graham Toal)
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 93 05:09:32 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Should we oppose the Data Superhighway/NII?

In article <9311111430.AA28017@snark.lehman.com> pmetzger@lehman.com writes:
>A single fiber optic strand has enough capacity in theory to carry the
>equivalent of every call made in the U.S. during the peak capacity
>utilization period on Mother's Day. A single fiber can carry more data
>than can be transmitted by the entire radio spectrum from low
>frequency AM to Ku band satelite. Thats bandwidth for literally
>thousands of simultaneous video signals.

"All the world's comms needs can be met with a single fibre"

contrast this with a famous quotation from history...

"All the country's computing needs can be met with a single computer"

:-)

(It'll be a nice one to quote to my grandchildren in years to come...)

Thread