1993-11-09 - RE: Are we gatewayed to Usenet?

Header Data

From: “Pat Farrell” <pfarrell@netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 747592288426eff96ccdcee56c3530bf4cf7afd22eaf41ef8b233c92fa51935e
Message ID: <60874.pfarrell@netcom.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 9 Nov 93 13:53:13 PST

Raw message

From: "Pat Farrell" <pfarrell@netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 93 13:53:13 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: RE: Are we gatewayed to Usenet?

In message Tue, 9 Nov 93 12:38:52 PST,  tcmay (Timothy C. May)  writes:

> I believe someone has gatewayed the list onto Netcom, which is
> available to many thousands of subscribers, including local POPs
> (points of presence) in Washington, D.C., Boston, Atlanta, Austin, and
> of course all up and down the West Coast.
>
> Is this such a good idea? And should it be unilaterally done? If there
> was discussion of this, I must've missed it somehow (which I doubt).

I think this is a terrible idea. Yes, the list is not secret, and
I expect that half the nyms on it are TLA employees, but
converting the list to a feed on a commercial service such as netcom,
delphi, or digex, is not what I want to see. IMHO, of course, but a bad
idea.

Since I'm a netcom user too, i'll fire up rn from the east coast.

Pat

Pat Farrell      Grad Student                 pfarrell@netcom.com
Department of Computer Science    George Mason University, Fairfax, VA
Public key availble via finger          #include <standard.disclaimer>

Thread