1994-01-26 - Re: clipper pin-compatible chip

Header Data

From: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
To: m5@vail.tivoli.com (Mike McNally)
Message Hash: 93681e35f9d084ec206af44aa732345a54d31618d5f3cdca5e0ed83c199333c6
Message ID: <199401261940.LAA27895@mail.netcom.com>
Reply To: <9401261926.AA06623@vail.tivoli.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-01-26 19:42:06 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 26 Jan 94 11:42:06 PST

Raw message

From: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 94 11:42:06 PST
To: m5@vail.tivoli.com (Mike McNally)
Subject: Re: clipper pin-compatible chip

Mike McNally writes:

>  > The point being that dropping an IDEA chip in is not 'plug and play'.
>
> I believe this; my point was simply to clarify.  I interpreted Tim's
> note as having to do with reverse-engineering Clipper, while the
> original note seemed more along the "plug and play" lines.  Now that I
> think about it, it's probably the case the Tim didn't misunderstand at
> all, but was on a tack about how you'd pretty much have to completely
> re-engineer the thing.  Or something.

Good summary. I miss have missed the subtleties the original poster
(DrZaphod, as I recall) was making, about only a partial emulation. I
had assumed the idea was to defeat the Clipper proposal by
substituting a chip either not implementing all Clipper features
(notably, key escrow) or different in some other way.

"Socket compatible" is more than just matching up some voltages on
some pins, etc. The new chip must of course operate with the software
of the Clipperphone, or the jig is up and there's no point in even
dropping in a new chip! This was, as Mike correctly notes, the
starting point for my analysis.

If the new chip does not even work with the Clipper software, does not
behave like a real Clipper chip would, what's the point? Surely the
Clipperphones will not be bought and then modified because they are
"cheap." And if we do our job, they will not be _ubiquitous_ either.

Some of the plans underway for Soundblaster card-based voice
encryption (probably using CELP on a fast 486 machine, or faster) seem
more rewarding.

> Seems like it'd be easier to compete with Clipper by simply building
> an alternative from the ground up.

Yep.

--Tim May

tcmay@netcom.com       | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero
Higher Power:2**859433 | Public Key: PGP and MailSafe available.

Thread