1994-02-27 - Re: <8c> VIRTUAL MEETING at BAYMOO

Header Data

From: Johan Helsingius <julf@penet.fi>
To: strick@osc.versant.com
Message Hash: e83884d9a8070d1d2d7e3d64bde37272a43208b1f3b544c17921cc5c1862e0fc
Message ID: <199402271713.AA23722@lassie.eunet.fi>
Reply To: <9402270912.AA23126@osc.versant.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-02-27 19:09:11 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 27 Feb 94 11:09:11 PST

Raw message

From: Johan Helsingius <julf@penet.fi>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 94 11:09:11 PST
To: strick@osc.versant.com
Subject: Re: <8c> VIRTUAL MEETING at BAYMOO

> I've thought some about the prior meeting and what I would do
> differently.  At the previous meeting, I had the dubious fortune of
> being designated a speaker -- which did give me a chance to introduce
> my pet topics, but had some disadvantages as well -- I lost the ability
> to chat quietly with people in my row, and I felt compelled to say
> something even when I had nothing to say.  I also noticed that others
> who were not speakers did not feel like full participants in the event.

> As for IRC, I'm attracted to the idea of a free-for-all, but I honestly
> was not able to follow anything when everyone had gathered together
> but before the speach controls were imposed -- there were just too many
> threads at once, and I couldn't find the ones I was following.

Uh... Yes, I think experimenting with new ways to run a virtual meeting
is A Good Thing. But... We have a meeting to run. So how about
sticking to familiar tools for the actual meeting, so that we can concentrate
on the *issues* at hand, and schedule the experimental stuff separately.

If we need "rows" and whatever, why not just form a dozen separate IRC channels,
one on each sub-issue, and you can join as many or as few as you like at one
time. Let's not complicate things too much - we have a war to fight!

	Julf

Thread