1994-02-15 - Re: Detweiler abuse again

Header Data

From: Matthew J Ghio <mg5n+@andrew.cmu.edu>
To: hfinney@shell.portal.com>
Message Hash: ea907e1505c3b66199656384cceb1c4e36c4075134c2812a64dea5cfb715431b
Message ID: <ghMFbZi00VBA8ICUc0@andrew.cmu.edu>
Reply To: <199402151730.JAA06052@jobe.shell.portal.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-02-15 19:09:28 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 15 Feb 94 11:09:28 PST

Raw message

From: Matthew J Ghio <mg5n+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 94 11:09:28 PST
To: hfinney@shell.portal.com>
Subject: Re: Detweiler abuse again

> (As an aside: how do these gateways take the heat?  Should I suggest to
> those complaining to me that my system is intended for email, not
> usenet, anonymity, and that they should direct their complaints to the
> mail-to-news gateways which are the "real" cause of the problem?
> Is this tactic likely to be politically effective?)

No, and it would probably backfire.  If the mail-to-usenet gateways get
abused, the administrators of the gates will probably start blocking
incoming mail, as CMU and Berkeley have done.

(The CMU gateway is outnews+netnews.group.name@andrew.cmu.edu  You can
try it and see what results you get.)

It might be more effective if you bounced messages from detweiler back
to him, CC: postmaster with a notice saying "Due to repeated abuses of
this email service, messages from detweile@cs.colostate.edu are no
longed accepted.  Unsent message follows:

Thread