1994-03-12 - RE: 2nd CJ update

Header Data

From: “Pat Farrell” <pfarrell@netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 599f5153eb017916d66a654252dc34e1d8c705af7199596c1273c619b7f1c2d3
Message ID: <35672.pfarrell@netcom.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 12 Mar 94 06:52:54 PST

Raw message

From: "Pat Farrell" <pfarrell@netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 94 06:52:54 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: RE: 2nd CJ update

In message Fri, 11 Mar 1994 10:17:52 -0800,
  Phil Karn <karn@unix.ka9q.ampr.org>  writes:

> PS. Does anybody consider it odd that someone from the NSA would actually
> identify themselves as such?

Not anymore. Both CIA and NSA have recently (past few years) had "open"
employees and contractors who can admit where they work. Some can even admit
general information about what they do, such as "I'm a SyBase DBA in the
administrative organization."

In the olden days, the same minor "spooks" would simply tell you they worked
"for the government" or "for DoD"

So the old "If I tell you I have to kill you" line is left to Maxwell Smart.

Pat

Pat Farrell      Grad Student                 pfarrell@gmu.edu
Department of Computer Science    George Mason University, Fairfax, VA
Public key availble via finger          #include <standard.disclaimer>

Thread