1994-03-11 - Re: Improvement of remailer security

Header Data

From: Matthew J Ghio <mg5n+@andrew.cmu.edu>
To: unicorn@access.digex.net>
Message Hash: 796f63b5ee62199ea90ac9dc898baa5ccab46a33753e750d645fc38d392e556d
Message ID: <shUA5yy00Vop4nCUUb@andrew.cmu.edu>
Reply To: <199403111259.AA03559@access3.digex.net>
UTC Datetime: 1994-03-11 19:09:14 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 11 Mar 94 11:09:14 PST

Raw message

From: Matthew J Ghio <mg5n+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 94 11:09:14 PST
To: unicorn@access.digex.net>
Subject: Re: Improvement of remailer security

-uni- (Dark) wrote:

> Wait, the threat was posted with a remailer?
>
> I heard about the threat, not the remailer....
>
> Details?

No, it was done using port 25.

However, it would be a good idea to block whitehouse.gov for any of you
who run remailers.

Appearantly, this wasn't the first time it's happened, but it is the
highest profile case.  According to several people here, someone at CMU
pulled a similar stunt last year.  He didn't get arrested, but the SS
had a nice long chat with him.  Appearantly the SS investigates dozens
of such prank mails every year...

Thread