1994-03-24 - Canon Color Copiers

Header Data

From: “Harry Shapiro Hawk” <habs@warwick.com>
To: “hughes@ah.com>
Message Hash: c1803fdcaf7b6ca832e042d3ba14d76056acccf98d5616ce3c7aba33a2b63726
Message ID: <9403241451.AA00559@uucp.warwick.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 24 Mar 94 06:58:00 PST

Raw message

From: "Harry Shapiro Hawk" <habs@warwick.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 94 06:58:00 PST
To: "hughes@ah.com>
Subject: Canon Color Copiers

X-Reposting Policy: Don't redistribute without permission. Rev.1.0.1

Hi,

With a friend, I conducted an experiment.

We took two one dollar bills.

We tried to copy each one on a Canon CLC 550 (aka Canon Color copier).

The side with George Washington on it copied fine.

The other side didn't.

We adjusted the bills so we exposed only half of each bills;
that is the top and bottom half and the right and left half.

The bottom have copied while the top half didn't.

The Left half copied (side with The Great Seal) while the right
half didn't.

We assumed then it was finding something located in the
upper right half of the back of the dollar bill. When we
attempted to isolate that part of the bill, it DID copy.

Strange. Perhaps someone could look at a 1, 5, 10, 20
and 100 dollar bill and see if there is anything in common
in the upper right half of the back of those bills.

Interestingly, when we did isolate the upper right half even
though it copied, it didn't copy cleanly.

You might ask, "How good are the copies."

My friend thought they were not great, while I thought
they were pretty good. As we were leaving the copier and
cleaning up after ourselves, the truth was revealed. My friend
tried to pick up one of the "copied" dollars. My friend then
remarked, "I guess it is not such a bad copy."

/hawk

Harry Shapiro Hawk
Manager of Computer Services
Warwick Baker & Fiore              habs@uucp.warwick.com