1994-03-18 - Re: What’s so bad about a Surveillance State?

Header Data

From: jim@bilbo.suite.com (Jim Miller)
To: blancw@microsoft.com
Message Hash: f0ef8e5836e3a7cfbfbb1a2d11d1dd378a62246f77e20ebabd4dc11e9b1e6860
Message ID: <9403182331.AA10941@bilbo.suite.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 18 Mar 94 15:43:34 PST

Raw message

From: jim@bilbo.suite.com (Jim Miller)
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 94 15:43:34 PST
To: blancw@microsoft.com
Subject: Re: What's so bad about a Surveillance State?

> So did you receive/collect a goodly number of responses
> to this  question?   ~ Blanc

Not as many as I'd hoped.  And most of them said pretty much the same
thing:

   pro:  crime would be reduced
   con:  freedom would be eliminated

My primary goal was to generate thought and discussion.  In that
light, my original post did succeed somewhat.  However, I haven't
received enough variety in the responses to construct a good list of
pros.

I think I should rephrase the question and post again.  I should not
ask for the pros and cons of a "surveillance state", rather, I should
ask for the pros and cons of "government sponsored surveillance
technology/programs".

I want to get people to think about possible benifits of government
sponsored surveillance.  Not because I like government sponsored
surveillance, but because I feel that thinking about the technology
from a "pro" perspective will give the "anti" (or better, the
"indifferent") people insight into how the pro-surveillance people
might attempt to justify the programs they advocate.

	"It is easier to defeat you enemy if you can view the

	battlefield from their chair."

	-- somebody famous probably said something like this
	   2000 years ago

Jim_Miller@suite.com

Thread