1994-04-12 - Re: Crypto, satellites, & China

Header Data

From: Lyle_Seaman@transarc.com
To: perobich@ingr.com
Message Hash: aa074d19d11ce8da81224cfd17a6d3370370e0210784ca8cbf2b5c9691e1a253
Message ID: <chefeWqSMUw840qsFt@transarc.com>
Reply To: <199404111958.AA26473@poboy.b17c.ingr.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-04-12 15:15:00 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 12 Apr 94 08:15:00 PDT

Raw message

From: Lyle_Seaman@transarc.com
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 94 08:15:00 PDT
To: perobich@ingr.com
Subject: Re: Crypto, satellites, & China

paul@poboy.b17c.ingr.com (Paul Robichaux) writes:
> I never knew that encryption fell under MTCR in addition to ITAR.
> Presumably any crypto hardware or software which can be used to
> protect missile or satellite telemetry or commanding can be
> restricted.

It's my understanding that, according to international missile
treaties (probably the MTCR), missile telemetry data must be
transmitted in the clear.  This is ostensibly so that the various
world powers can be assured that a "test" missile launch really is a
test and is not going to wipe out someone's capital.  It's also so
that various intelligence agencies can have accurate estimates of
everyone's capabilities.  This knowledge is widely viewed as
stabilising.

Thread