1994-04-18 - RE: Warrentless Search

Header Data

From: Blanc Weber <blancw@microsoft.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b8cd92b6e6dcde0d0f0462723fc32a0aa569b9759f536062f057c2683b5f9002
Message ID: <9404180426.AA28907@netmail2.microsoft.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 17 Apr 94 22:25:36 PDT

Raw message

From: Blanc Weber <blancw@microsoft.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 94 22:25:36 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: RE: Warrentless Search

From: Jeff Davis

Another facet of human nature one can trust is 75% of the population will
follow a direct order without much question, given the person issuing the
order appears to have the authority to do so.  ......
It only takes a matter of seconds to organize a concerted team effort
to aid the victim- because I am the responsible person.  They are not
accountable for their actions anymore in their minds, I am.

This isn't civilization, it's gregarious herd instinct ;)
This isn't herd instinct; it's innocence & ignorance.  If someone can
recognize the situation for what it is and has knowledge of what is
required, they will proceed to contribute according to their informed
judgement.  If they are not sufficiently familiar with the meaning of
what they are facing, then they will be amenable to guidance or to the
appearance of knowledgeable authority.

If you seem to know what the right thing which needs to be done to
correct a problematic situation, they will accept your commands; but if
it is recognizable that you don't know what you are talking about or
what is apropos, you will lose their following.

Blanc

Thread