1994-04-30 - Re: Constitution and Contract [Was: CIA & FBI]

Header Data

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@access.digex.net>
To: jkreznar@ininx.com (John E. Kreznar)
Message Hash: cef25458e9e0666f8bb12ce03348ce72d4ac49268b4b3c159ca642a2576de61b
Message ID: <199404300813.AA25162@access1.digex.net>
Reply To: <9404300742.AA16079@ininx>
UTC Datetime: 1994-04-30 08:14:31 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 30 Apr 94 01:14:31 PDT

Raw message

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@access.digex.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 94 01:14:31 PDT
To: jkreznar@ininx.com (John E. Kreznar)
Subject: Re: Constitution and Contract [Was: CIA & FBI]

> afforded by strong cryptography and other means.
>
> He writes:
>
> > The federal government rules by the sword, but proports to due so under
> > the Constitution.
>
> Thank you.  It's good for a freedom-loving person to be reminded of the
> nature of the threat.

Are you being sarcastic here or...?

You seem to think I look upon the above description with fondness and
adoration.  I do not.

> The appeal of strong cryptography is that it may help to defend against
> those who embrace this deceitful attitude.

Which deceitful attitude, mine or the federal government's?

> > The continued acceptance of the process, the
> > participation in elections, the oath that high officials take, the
> > amendment process, the continued existence of the three branches of
> > government, all lend themselves to the assumption that if not accepted,
> > the Constitution is at least tolerated by the populous and the rulers.
>
> It is for _exactly this reason_ that the freedom-loving person forbears
> from willful participation.

I think that's difficult to do and still live in the United States, or
most nations.

Regardless of how persuasive I find the argument, you do probably benefit
from the police, fire, emergency rescue, and national defense services
provided by the government.  You also probably benefit from what
deterence the civil litigation and criminal processes affords those who
would do you ill.

While I don't find this justifies the abridgement of the constitution, I
do think it stifles the argument that one is not willfully participating
or partaking of soceital benefit.

> > The United States does not claim its authority to be rooted in divine
> > grant, nor in pure power over the people, nor in a quest for utopia, but
> > in consent of the people.
>
> ...which is fine for a person who consents.  The problem comes when he
> assumes that the authority extends to his neighbor who does not consent.

I think your position is basically "I didn't sign the Constitution, so
the government has no power over me."  I don't really see a rationale for
this position, only the position itself.  The clause "but in consent of
the people" is a collective form of "the people."  I wish it needn't be, but
it is none-the-less.

> > > 	John E. Kreznar		| Relations among people to be by
> > > 	jkreznar@ininx.com	| mutual consent, or not at all.
> >                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> > A Victorian after my own heart.  I think we disagree, if we differ at
> > all, in the application of this theory to grants of authority.
>
> Again, this is no doubt wonderful for a person who grants his authority.
> The trouble begins when he presumes that his neighbor, too, has granted
> his authority.

Again, I don't know where to go with this.  You give me a position, and
use it to support your position.

I will say that if I believed a soceity could exist without some minority
oppression I would reject all regulation.

-uni- (Dark)

Thread