1994-06-20 - Re: Andy Grove on Clipper

Header Data

From: khijol!erc (Ed Carp [Sysadmin])
To: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Message Hash: 10b745292fe7cea86887994b5ca4f94f378f3f551352ae0535b1c554e5b31943
Message ID: <m0qFaIr-0004EbC@khijol.uucp>
Reply To: <199406200230.TAA09568@netcom5.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-06-20 03:56:27 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 19 Jun 94 20:56:27 PDT

Raw message

From: khijol!erc (Ed Carp [Sysadmin])
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 94 20:56:27 PDT
To: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Subject: Re: Andy Grove on Clipper

Date: Mon, 20 Jun 94 04:16:53 EDT
From: wcs@anchor.ho.att.com (bill.stewart@pleasantonca.ncr.com +1-510-484-6204)
To: pfarrell@netcom.com
Subject: Re: Hardware generators
Cc: cypherpunks@toad.com
Sender: owner-cypherpunks@toad.com

> The problem with the serial port dongles are:
>
> 3) PCs typically don't have a spare serial port.
> 1) while parallel port dongles are known technology, making it work
> on a serial port is more problematical.

Only if you're trying to share the port with other functions,
like, ummm, modems, which you'll probably want at about the same
time you want your random number generator.  But if you've got a
spare slot to put a random number generator in, you could just as well
put *it* in the spare slot, and save $20 or whatever the current price
difference between internal and external modems is.  Except for
laptops, where slots are generally not available (except PCMCIA),

Thread