1994-06-22 - Re: Unofficial Release

Header Data

From: trollins@debbie.telos.com (Tom Rollins)
To: N/A
Message Hash: c732e8a06046f56ab3a9274e979b14051e290f388ee6fb6def8d8a2cc58e7e40
Message ID: <9406221913.AA06863@debbie.telos.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 22 Jun 94 12:13:54 PDT

Raw message

From: trollins@debbie.telos.com (Tom Rollins)
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 94 12:13:54 PDT
Subject: Re: Unofficial Release

Perry says;
>Yup, you have it on me. I guess it is important to lower the
>possibility of someone cracking your key by brute force from lower
>than the odds that all the oxygen atoms in the room you are in will
>spontaneously end up on the wrong side of the room to lower than the
>odds that all the oxygen atoms in the world will end up on the wrong
>side of the planet. After all, we are fooling with lives.

Perry, I don't know the probability of oxygen atoms moving to Japan
or anywhere else. (who said Japan was the wrong side of the planet)
And, I don't think that anyone will attack my keys by brute force.

I do think that someone will be trying to crack messages on a random
basis. That is by trying IDEA keys with otherwise idle cpu time on a
large base of message trafic. (not my one little pathetic message).
Given estimates that the IDEA algorithem is equivlent to a
3000-bit rsa key. I am bringing the rsa part of PGP up to par with
the IDEA part of PGP. (just hitting on the weakest link first)

So, call me paranoid or joe, I will strive to reach MY crypto comfort
level. And that seems to be a higher level of crypto than you have.
Who cares !
Use whatever crypto you want.

				tom

Thread