1994-06-22 - Re: Unofficial Release

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@imsi.com>
To: trollins@debbie.telos.com (Tom Rollins)
Message Hash: f2db6318d4cf4edc60241f578592916ccc75c97c4454ac282ca936d22bcd228f
Message ID: <9406221927.AA03427@snark.imsi.com>
Reply To: <9406221913.AA06863@debbie.telos.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-06-22 19:27:29 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 22 Jun 94 12:27:29 PDT

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@imsi.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 94 12:27:29 PDT
To: trollins@debbie.telos.com (Tom Rollins)
Subject: Re: Unofficial Release

Tom Rollins says:
> I do think that someone will be trying to crack messages on a random
> basis.

Yes, sure. Maybe someone out there is trying to do something like
that. I also suspect someone out there is experimenting to see if they
can blow up buildings with their psychic powers. The question is, do
you have any rational reason to fear that either group will succeed?
Are the odds that you will be killed because all the protons in your
brain undergo spontaneous decay higher?

> So, call me paranoid or joe, I will strive to reach MY crypto comfort
> level.

Fine. However, you are, you realize, a fool. There is no point in
building a house with 3 foot thick steel doors and walls made from
paper. After 2^10 or 2^11 bits or so the key is no longer the weak
link, and is not what people will attack since it no longer has a
reasonable possibility of success. You are entitled to your opinions,
of course.

Perry

Thread