1994-07-12 - Re: Supposed NSA turncoat reveals monitoring of anon remailers? >pshah!<

Header Data

From: Christian Odhner <cdodhner@PrimeNet.Com>
To: Ian Farquhar <ifarqhar@laurel.ocs.mq.edu.au>
Message Hash: 028e1e4d1cd23657131bd014981eab487c1678e5ed2bcb3141f5b3333b01e6c7
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9407111450.B1433-0100000@usr1.primenet.com>
Reply To: <199407112051.AA28356@laurel.ocs.mq.edu.au>
UTC Datetime: 1994-07-12 09:31:55 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 12 Jul 94 02:31:55 PDT

Raw message

From: Christian Odhner <cdodhner@PrimeNet.Com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 94 02:31:55 PDT
To: Ian Farquhar <ifarqhar@laurel.ocs.mq.edu.au>
Subject: Re: Supposed NSA turncoat reveals monitoring of anon remailers? >pshah!<

On Tue, 12 Jul 1994, Ian Farquhar wrote:

> On the subject of network monitoring, Bruce posted a copy of an NSA
> technology transfer which described a database searching algorithm
> that looked fairly sophisticated (I don't have the actual posting
> handy.)  Did anyone (Bruce?) obtain a copy of the algorithm, and if
> so, were there any distribution limitations on it?  It looked like
> just the thing that the NSA would use as their "watchword" scanner,
> and even if not, it looked like a very useful design all the same.

The NSA algorithm involved didn't use keywords. It was way more powerfull
than that, able to sort text samples into arbitrary catagories based on
examples of text that you give it. It doesn't use any keywords or grammer
recognition, it doesn't even matter what language you feed it.

They refused to give me a copy, they are trying to make a buck by
licensing it commercialy. I tried to ask about what it costs to get a
license, and they asked what company I was representing, and I told them
I was representing myself, and they stonewalled me. Looks like they don't
think I have the money they want. (they're probably right about that btw...)

Happy Hunting, -Chris.

____________________Please note the change of address.________________________
Christian Douglas Odhner     | "The NSA can have my secret key when they pry
cdodhner@primenet.com	     | it from my cold, dead, hands... But they shall
pgp 2.3 public key by finger | NEVER have the password it's encrypted with!"
cypherpunks         WOw            dCD           Traskcom          Team Stupid
  Key fingerprint =  58 62 A2 84 FD 4F 56 38  82 69 6F 08 E4 F1 79 11
--------------------Please note the change of address.------------------------

Thread