1994-07-28 - RE: Questions about Microsoft and Software Key Escrow

Header Data

From: Blanc Weber <blancw@microsoft.com>
To: tcmay@netcom.com
Message Hash: 1cb4b0fd5cfb856a66e0026ddc712e91e01fb8a9e1b066008d40db07f49f04ae
Message ID: <9407280547.AA19824@netmail2.microsoft.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 27 Jul 94 22:47:05 PDT

Raw message

From: Blanc Weber <blancw@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 94 22:47:05 PDT
To: tcmay@netcom.com
Subject: RE: Questions about Microsoft and Software Key Escrow

From: Timothy C. May

My forte here on the list, I like to think, has always been to have
"extremely long-range radar" that can pick up trends far in advance.
Black Unicorn once told he this was my main strength, and even
everybody's second-favorite nemesis, David Sternlight said much the
same thing in sci.crypt. Coming from Sternlight, high praise indeed.
<misc. elided>
By all means, give Microsoft the benefit of the doubt. But also
insist that they explain their work on SKE, and repudiate it.

I respect your ability to think clearly and with great foresight also,
Tim, but I really cannot think that Microsoft would "sell out" on this
issue.  There are too many in the company who would are for privacy for
the individual, and remember they have their customers to think about.
If SKE would constitute a problem for the individual end-user, then I
can't see how the company could implement it and expect to remain a
leader in the business, with all the negative publicity it would
generate (conceivably most of it from cypherpunks!).   These are my
thoughts based on what I know about attitudes around here that I am
familiar with & certain of.

As I said in another post, Microsoft is an expert at arriving at a
"win-win" situation, but I don't believe this includes sacrificing some
of our most cherished values, like personal privacy, in exchange for a
little security.  If I thought this was not true, *I* would not work here.

I may sound naive; hope time does not prove me wrong.

Blanc

Thread