1994-07-29 - Re: DES Vulnerable, Why?

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@imsi.com>
To: KentBorg@aol.com
Message Hash: 2fd5ca68c039d53e83a45a495b73fe1746ed5c5cc0ab0cfee29bff2536ed1e3a
Message ID: <9407290216.AA03565@snark.imsi.com>
Reply To: <9407281012.tn288310@aol.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-07-29 02:17:23 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 28 Jul 94 19:17:23 PDT

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@imsi.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 94 19:17:23 PDT
To: KentBorg@aol.com
Subject: Re: DES Vulnerable, Why?

KentBorg@aol.com says:
> It seems the TLAs (in a weak moment) let slip that DES was getting old and
> creaky and vulnerable.

Thats hardly news. Its so utterly obvious even without specialized
knowledge one could determine it.

> My question: if triple-DES is so damn tough to break, what is wrong with DES?
>  Triple-DES is a trivial variation on DES.

Similarly, finding the factors of the number 15 and of a 1000 bit
number are nearly the same operation -- unless you take time into
consideration.

Please go off and read Schneier on this subject before posting again
-- I suspect that his discussion of security and key lengths and
multiple encryption is very clear and well written.

Perry

Thread