1994-07-17 - Re: Card Playing Protocol?

Header Data

From: Aron Freed <s009amf@discover.wright.edu>
To: Kent Borg <kentborg@world.std.com>
Message Hash: 6f8047ca531fa4ce0f7b11c58200bee41bab2164cae4a62de9c52b336f45b57f
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9407171253.A14792-0100000@discover>
Reply To: <199407170623.AA29265@world.std.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-07-17 16:53:43 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 17 Jul 94 09:53:43 PDT

Raw message

From: Aron Freed <s009amf@discover.wright.edu>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 94 09:53:43 PDT
To: Kent Borg <kentborg@world.std.com>
Subject: Re: Card Playing Protocol?

On Sun, 17 Jul 1994, Kent Borg wrote:

> Damn!  People are paying attention.  It was an off-hand remark.  Any
> bells and whistles along those lines are certainly banned from any
> early version.
>
> My mind wandered to that very point this very morning.  The simplist
> way to find players is the same we currently find email addresses: the
> hard way.  Type in the addresses of the other players. (Assuming the
> software is already running on those nodes, those players would not
> have to retype the other addresses, accepting the invitation to play
> would be more like a single "click".)
>
> I think anything more elaborate along these lines is a candidate for
> banning from 1.0.  (One problem is that the "I'm looking for a
> game."-problem is at least as big and interesting as building a deck
> of cards.)

The only problem is if a government spy is listening on this
conversation, he is going to learn how to play this game to and learn how
to intercept the messages and therefore learn how to decode the messages...

Aaron

Thread