1994-08-03 - Re: Egalitarianism vs. Strong Cryptography

Header Data

From: mccoy@io.com (Jim McCoy)
To: mpd@netcom.com (Mike Duvos)
Message Hash: 3e9077cdd5d3bcccfd8e0b55e5bd7999a89f3da78f6469e854fc488f5a18db94
Message ID: <199408032321.SAA01552@pentagon.io.com>
Reply To: <199408032055.NAA15886@netcom6.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-08-03 23:22:07 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 3 Aug 94 16:22:07 PDT

Raw message

From: mccoy@io.com (Jim McCoy)
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 94 16:22:07 PDT
To: mpd@netcom.com (Mike Duvos)
Subject: Re: Egalitarianism vs. Strong Cryptography

mpd@netcom.com (Mike Duvos) writes:
[...]
> Network shopping services which use strong crypto and
> non-standard DigiCash protocols to avoid a painless VAT will have
> poor propagation, limited access, negative PR, and few customers.

Wanna bet?  All it would take is one entity to set up a service of
converting untracable digicash tokens into the appropriate tracable tokens
under the name of a pseudo-account at the service.  Now I can use my
digicash tokens for everything under the regulated system, _and_ I can use
them at digicash-only services...

jim

Thread