1994-08-29 - Re: Statistics on remail message sizes

Header Data

From: cactus@bb.com (L. Todd Masco)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4f7a38474c58f50346382c37c19c666e6dcc578b22ab1d026b698127235fb29b
Message ID: <33tean$6ul@bb.com>
Reply To: <9408291623.AA29767@ah.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-08-29 19:48:21 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 29 Aug 94 12:48:21 PDT

Raw message

From: cactus@bb.com (L. Todd Masco)
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 94 12:48:21 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Statistics on remail message sizes

In article <9408291623.AA29767@ah.com>, Eric Hughes <hughes@ah.com> wrote:
>Based on Hal's numbers, I would suggest a reasonable quantization for
>message sizes be a short set of geometrically increasing values,
>namely, 1K, 4K, 16K, 64K.  In retrospect, this seems like the obvious
>quantization, and not arithmetic progressions.  Live and learn.

A brief suggestion:  Code the progression, not the four values.  As
 time goes on (and lossy sendmails disappear), people are sending larger
 and larger messages;  it's easily conceivable that people could be
 swapping multiMB files at some point in the not too distant future
 (indeed, I do occasionally send out files that are 4-5 MB large,
 uuencoded binaries and tar files).

No point in limiting future behavior due to current usage.
--
L. Todd Masco  | "Which part of 'shall not be infringed' didn't
cactus@bb.com  |   you understand?"

Thread