1994-08-02 - Re: Steganography

Header Data

From: Hal <hfinney@shell.portal.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7274ef5e58e0fe37bf5ae4d7b29d98e033ae06d6e97281f352f1e1e802156f76
Message ID: <199408021432.HAA23712@jobe.shell.portal.com>
Reply To: <Pine.3.89.9408020951.A167-0100000@vulcan.nexor.co.uk>
UTC Datetime: 1994-08-02 14:32:33 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 2 Aug 94 07:32:33 PDT

Raw message

From: Hal <hfinney@shell.portal.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 94 07:32:33 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Steganography

Andrew Brown <a.brown@nexor.co.uk> writes:

>I'm currently on the look out for new steganography ideas (you might have
>seen the patches I wrote that allow files to be hidden in gzip compressed
>files). I thought of a load of obvious stuff like adding/not adding
>spaces at the end of lines of a text file, carefully choosing assembler
>instructions where two are available, etc. Has anyone got any more ideas?

One possibility would be to right-justify your  text,  as  a  few
people  like  to  do,  then  to tweak the algorithm for inserting
spaces into lines to depend on the next bits of the embedded mes-
sage.  Generally, you have N spaces to insert into M word breaks.
If M divides N, you don't have any choice, but otherwise you have
N  mod  M  "leftovers"  to  distribute among M.  This would allow
several bits per line.

Hal

Thread