1994-08-12 - Re: Health Care Privacy Alert

Header Data

From: Mats Bergstrom <matsb@sos.sll.se>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7d023570a6169bae5c0ee7d369b9825be227f45611c1b14b47c929e7d44c641a
Message ID: <Pine.3.85.9408121418.A24347-0100000@cor.sos.sll.se>
Reply To: <199408121115.AA19389@panix.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-08-12 13:57:42 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 12 Aug 94 06:57:42 PDT

Raw message

From: Mats Bergstrom <matsb@sos.sll.se>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 94 06:57:42 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Health Care Privacy Alert

Duncan Frissell wrote:

> There's no way you can have a government-directed, third-party-paid, health
> care "system" without throwing privacy out the window. Bureaucracies *keep*
> records, they don't destroy them.

Yes, this is a lesson history tells us. But maybe, theoretically, strong
crypto could make a change. Nested information with keys known only to
parties with legitimate interest in a specific info layer and the master
key only known to the patient and programs for self destruction (including
backups) of data no longer needed. I repeat, theoretically that is.

Mats

Thread