1994-08-09 - Re: broadcast encryption

Header Data

From: snyderra@dunx1.ocs.drexel.edu (Bob Snyder)
To: Dave Horsfall <dave@esi.COM.AU>
Message Hash: 807c2aeaf92138afa33c40efed17eccda98ec7d4a276361fbdfc7dab4ec5fb57
Message ID: <aa6d46671a0210235f5f@DialupEudora>
Raw Date: Tue, 9 Aug 94 08:00:59 PDT

Raw message

From: snyderra@dunx1.ocs.drexel.edu (Bob Snyder)
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 94 08:00:59 PDT
To: Dave Horsfall <dave@esi.COM.AU>
Subject: Re: broadcast encryption

At 4:06 AM 8/9/94, Dave Horsfall wrote:

>Etc.  I've been using PGP for authenticating my packet messages for
>some months, for precisely the reasons you outlined.  I get the
>occasional "stop wasting bl**dy bandwidth" but most of the time it
>results in more PGP users.  I'm also careful to explain that PGP can't
>be used to prove I did NOT write an unsigned nasty-gram (until we get
>true authentication within the BBS, by which I hope the concept of a
>BBS will disappear :-) but it makes a strong case if I sign ALL my
>bulletins.

What I would like to see is low-level digital signatures on the level of IP
or AX.25.  IP is doable, I would think.  There's swIPe, and amateur packet
drivers for Linux, but to get people to really use it, you'd need to put it
in the software or hardware they use, like KA9Q (Hi Phil) for IP, and
AX.25.  Would it be possible to fit this into AX.25?  I don't recall that
much about the protocol, and all my packet reference materials are about
300 miles away.

Bob

--
Bob Snyder N2KGO                               MIME, PGP, RIPEM mail accepted
snyderra@post.drexel.edu                      PGP & RIPEM keys on key servers