1994-08-10 - Re: e$

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@imsi.com>
To: jdd@aiki.demon.co.uk
Message Hash: d4b32f9e3af26b2f4ce1bf693ddf876878ae700cb846ba87b0d5d0f1c1d2a72a
Message ID: <9408101428.AA26732@snark.imsi.com>
Reply To: <4872@aiki.demon.co.uk>
UTC Datetime: 1994-08-10 14:29:00 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 10 Aug 94 07:29:00 PDT

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@imsi.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 94 07:29:00 PDT
To: jdd@aiki.demon.co.uk
Subject: Re: e$

Jim Dixon says:
> Precisely what do you mean by "is used to avoid federal transfer reporting
> requirements" ?  If you say that it is illegal, can you direct us to or
> quote the relevant statute?

I don't care to. It is widely known and understood that structuring
transactions to avoid the $10,000 and over transaction reporting
requirements is a felonly. Go and find out why on your own.

> My point is that checks made out to cash are not regarded as an
> alternative currency.

My point is that the government doesn't give a flying fuck. They are
simply trying to stop you from playing games. The law isn't like
geometry -- there aren't axioms and rules for deriving one thing from
another. The general principle is that they want to track all your
transactions, and if you make it difficult they will either use
existing law to jail you, or will produce a new law to try to do the
same. Your hair spliting is really completely irrelevant.

Perry

Thread