1994-08-23 - Re: Voluntary Governments?

Header Data

From: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
To: Jim choate <ravage@bga.com>
Message Hash: d9eb877ba6a85f9bb4f45f47a727fb0a622c6021dd25dd4ea13d964194be2e12
Message ID: <9408232050.AA07973@toxicwaste.media.mit.edu>
Reply To: <199408231937.OAA11982@zoom.bga.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-08-23 20:59:04 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 23 Aug 94 13:59:04 PDT

Raw message

From: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 94 13:59:04 PDT
To: Jim choate <ravage@bga.com>
Subject: Re: Voluntary Governments?

> I suspect that MIT's security forces, even though it is a private
> school, hold 'peace officer' ratings and this implies that they can
> carry weapons at any time (though they don't usually). This holds for
> the small community college that I work at now as well. The officers
> don't carry guns as a regular part of their uniform except during
> registration when there are large amounts of cash on campus or when
> important officials visit the campus(es).

MIT Campus Police are full police officers as far as the Commonwealth
of Massachusetts is concerned.  They have all gone through the state
police academy, and they are all cops.  They have complete
jurisdiction over the MIT property.  And yes, they _do_ carry guns
at all times (at least while in uniform).

I've seen some of the MIT CP HQ, although I've not received a full
tour of the facilities (maybe I will some day).

Also, it is considered bad form for an MIT CP to arrest an MIT
student.  However I have seen them arrest people (although I've
never seen a firefight ;-)

-derek

Thread