1994-08-23 - Re: Voluntary Governments?

Header Data

From: Jim choate <ravage@bga.com>
To: solman@MIT.EDU (Jason W Solinsky)
Message Hash: db78fd2ffb6eb4c063af3768399da558309c6a227c58772bac6dff8b2cd0f638
Message ID: <199408231435.JAA25688@zoom.bga.com>
Reply To: <9408230816.AA17115@ua.MIT.EDU>
UTC Datetime: 1994-08-23 14:36:05 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 23 Aug 94 07:36:05 PDT

Raw message

From: Jim choate <ravage@bga.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 94 07:36:05 PDT
To: solman@MIT.EDU (Jason W Solinsky)
Subject: Re: Voluntary Governments?

> When does this move somewhere else concept cease to be legitimate?

I would say such attitudes cease to be legitimate about the time they
are expressed. This is a democracy and every(!) citizen has a right
to express their pleasure and displeasure at the society we each build.
If a person were to say some thing along those lines I would tell them this
is my country and if I don't like it I will change it. They are welcome
to meet me somewhere in the middle if they are even remotely open minded
(which rules out all standard political parties with an agenda based on
obtaining a majority instead of finding a middle ground for everyone to
live their own lives under). A government/society is something similar to
a forest, it is silly to think of it without also considering the plight of
the individual tree (the whole point of the Bill of Rights I believe). An
example would be position and velocity relating to uncertainty principles
in physics. You can't now both position and velocity to a arbitary precision
and governments can't write laws which don't have inherent limitations to
their applicability to both society and the individual. They are opposite
sides of the same coin.

The persons who express such monotheistic views are the ones who should move
to the most convenient dictatorship...

Thread