1994-09-28 - Re: Anyone seen the ‘quantum cryptanalysis’ thread on sci.crypt?

Header Data

From: m5@vail.tivoli.com (Mike McNally)
To: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Message Hash: eac5b3eea340d9ea34e3f828ed2cc557151c8b6fc318f056747c585ed5dbd812
Message ID: <9409281902.AA07664@vail.tivoli.com>
Reply To: <9409280734.AA12090@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-09-28 19:08:54 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 28 Sep 94 12:08:54 PDT

Raw message

From: m5@vail.tivoli.com (Mike McNally)
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 94 12:08:54 PDT
To: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Subject: Re: Anyone seen the 'quantum cryptanalysis' thread on sci.crypt?

Timothy C. May writes:
 > In any case, the Shor work on a quantum factorer is interesting, but
 > is at least several decades away, in my opinion.

Operating from the assumption that this work by Shor is realistically
worthwhile, has there been any research into employing similar
techniques for encryption?  In other words, in the "world" of quantum
algorithmics, are there analogs to the hard problems currently
exploited by cryptographic systems in our current Turing machine
"world"?

| GOOD TIME FOR MOVIE - GOING ||| Mike McNally <m5@tivoli.com>       |
| TAKE TWA TO CAIRO.          ||| Tivoli Systems, Austin, TX:        |
|     (actual fortune cookie) ||| "Like A Little Bit of Semi-Heaven" |

Thread