1994-10-04 - Re: your mail

Header Data

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@access.digex.net>
To: nobody@jpunix.com (Anonymous)
Message Hash: 984c23ffedb46e41a0c3cd84e78dd0133f2f72b8b651701b92d857ef2aed5151
Message ID: <199410042144.AA13550@access4.digex.net>
Reply To: <199410042048.PAA05070@jpunix.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-10-04 21:45:01 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 4 Oct 94 14:45:01 PDT

Raw message

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@access.digex.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 94 14:45:01 PDT
To: nobody@jpunix.com (Anonymous)
Subject: Re: your mail

Anonymous scripsit

> > That being said let it be known that I consider the following as a
> > "Cypherpunk victory."
> >
> > 1.  Complete freedom of technology, particularly encryption technology,
> 	       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > regulated only by market forces.  This implies the lack of import/export
> > restrictions, and a complete absence of projects designed to limit
> 			       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > technology, or to standardize it for nefarious ends like Clipper.
>   ^^^^^^^^^^
>
> I think you overgeneralize.  No limits on toxic waste incinerators,
>low-mileage automobiles, unsafe medical devices, genetically tampered food,
>or nuclear reactors?  "Market forces" in such cases positively encourage
>dangerous technology (e.g. incinerators are superficially cheap) or are
>markedby their inability to distinguish the good from the crap (e.g. medical
>devices).

It is you who have overgeneralized.  No limits on technology certainly
does not mean allowing low tech and poor incinerators to continue operating.
The fact that low mileage cars still drive is a result of poor markets
than anything else (baring colletables).  How would you argue that some
low mileage cars are the result of a no limitations on technology policy?
Unsafe medical devices?  I would say this is a problem with testing technology,
not a lack of limitation on technological advance.  Genetically tampered
food?  Why is this dangerous?  Have any evidence?  Most of the
livestock/crops you eat today have been altered in one way or another, be
it selective breeding, low tech botanical splicing, or genetic/hormonal
therapy.  You see this as a regression?

You never make the distinction between regulation designed to promote and
regulation designed to deter technological advance.  Clipper is clearly
designed to set a standard and defuse the market which has advanced
strong cryptography.  It is designed to WEAKEN technology, make it
counter-productive to it's goal (in the case of cryptography, security
against all attackers).  What lack of regulation does this?  Market
forces are lathargic, sometimes they need a boost.  I propose this boost
be accomplished with motivators like tax breaks, market assisters and
privatization.  When Germany wanted to promote environmentally sound
packaging and manufacture, they started a program called Gruun Punkt (The
Green Point)  They allow manufactures to place the green point sticker on
their products provided they meet XYZ specifications.  This is the way to
promote technological advance, NOT by over regulation, centralization,
collectivization and stagnation.  The pattern of the administration
crippling markets because it is afraid it cannot keep pace is obnoxious.
If we were to all keep pace with the Federal Government, we'd all still
be wearing loin cloths.  Anyone who thinks the Federal Government is the
driving force behind the majority of technological advancement (aside the
space program and military hardware) needs to take a good look.

> We agree about crypto, but not all tech is crypto.  :)

I'm not even sure we agree about crypto, considering you don't seem to
understand, or at least express the difference between Crypto regulation and
emissions testing.

>      Crim Tideson                     Privacy is its own justification.

-uni- Dark

--
073BB885A786F666 nemo repente fuit turpissimus - potestas scientiae in usu est
6E6D4506F6EDBC17 quaere verum ad infinitum, loquitur sub rosa    -    wichtig!

Thread