1994-10-04 - Re: Bomb information ban

Header Data

From: cjl <cjl@welchlink.welch.jhu.edu>
To: “David K. Merriman” <merriman@metronet.com>
Message Hash: d4db33296d07a0aa20f396461d8a02dbf71db608bf8fd0ca9f58c0b63a76352c
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9410032327.A10386-0100000@welchlink.welch.jhu.edu>
Reply To: <199410040216.AA05466@metronet.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-10-04 04:11:53 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 3 Oct 94 21:11:53 PDT

Raw message

From: cjl <cjl@welchlink.welch.jhu.edu>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 94 21:11:53 PDT
To: "David K. Merriman" <merriman@metronet.com>
Subject: Re: Bomb information ban

On Mon, 3 Oct 1994, David K. Merriman wrote:

> >Caught from the radio this morning:
> >
> >    Toronto (Canada) city council is debating a by-law to ban information
> >on bomb construction.  This after one of the council members was mailed
> >a faulty (or fake) pipe-bomb.  Rough quote: ~This is different than the
> >gun control issue because there is no valid use for bombs.~
>
> Bull.  They're great for blowing something up.....
>
> >I wonder how much of the libraries' engineering books section they'll
> >have to burn because of this.
>
> All.  What part of Engineering doesn't have some impact or use in
> bombmaking/usage?

Genetic Engineering, of course, my silico-centric friend :-)

Query:  Why is it that, when the usual stream of crypto-conversation
begins to dry up, the topic of bombs comes up?  Maybe crypto-anarchists
should seek to replace the traditional symbol of anarchy (you know, the
bowling ball with the fuse) with something more moderne.  Any suggestions
on what the well-dressed (black trenchcoat and fedora, for tradition's
sake) crypto-anarchist is seen clutching in his hand as he skulks off into
shadows of Blacknet???  You know, something that would make a good .gif.

C. J. Leonard                  (    /      "DNA is groovy"
                                \ /                - Watson & Crick
<cjl@welchlink.welch,jhu.edu>   / \     <--  major groove
                               (    \
Finger for public key            \   )
Strong-arm for secret key          /    <--  minor groove
Thumb-screws for pass-phrase     /   )

Thread