1994-11-21 - Re: Admiral Inman

Header Data

From: jamiel@sybase.com (Jamie Lawrence)
To: lethin@ai.mit.edu (Rich Lethin)
Message Hash: 5bb22d2e6c162ec5f34472571547a92b518b2cbbfc107a119d4de9c9f7c72070
Message ID: <aaf6b9925b021004d4c3@[130.214.233.9]>
Raw Date: Mon, 21 Nov 94 13:57:41 PST

Raw message

From: jamiel@sybase.com (Jamie Lawrence)
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 94 13:57:41 PST
To: lethin@ai.mit.edu (Rich Lethin)
Subject: Re: Admiral Inman

>replied that the governmental concern about wiretaps was and is primarily
>and unambiguously about narcotics.

and

>Back to Narcotics.  He gave the statistic that 90% of the narcotics leads
>related to money laundering come from domestic wiretaps.

Wow, this is easy then: legalize drugs and wiretaps are practically
unessessary. Buy a copy of High Times today! ;)

It does amaze me that what can be a victimless activity is such
a hotbutton.

A direct quote from him saying the above would be a nice tool the
next time kiddie porn and terrorists are thrown out for the press
to chew on.

>Inman was surprised by the looming introduction of VoicePGP, and said that
>that would be a big problem

I like the sound of this.

>                                                             So Inman
>seems sensitive to issues of privacy, but in this case, they seem to be
>primarily associated with invasions of privacy by the media rather than by
>the government.

Typical.

Sounds like a very interesting talk.

-j