1994-11-21 - Re: Anonymous methods, WRT first shots at CMU

Header Data

From: Mark Terka <werewolf@io.org>
To: “L. Todd Masco” <cactus@bb.hks.net>
Message Hash: 8bf7bb2da630637d8a36441c8bb92ac05865b13e9c0672c85e672bf2c6376bcc
Message ID: <Pine.BSI.3.91.941121154516.28739B-100000@grin.io.org>
Reply To: <199411211958.OAA10038@bb.hks.net>
UTC Datetime: 1994-11-21 20:55:20 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 21 Nov 94 12:55:20 PST

Raw message

From: Mark Terka <werewolf@io.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 94 12:55:20 PST
To: "L. Todd Masco" <cactus@bb.hks.net>
Subject: Re: Anonymous methods, WRT first shots at CMU

On Mon, 21 Nov 1994, L. Todd Masco wrote:

> This is the direction from which I expect anonymous methods of contact
> to first gain wide use and, to a much lesser extent, acceptance.

No kidding! As soon as you make sex more "verboten" then people immediately
search for ways to circumvent the ban.

> What does this mean in the short term?  Remailer operators should be aware
> that this will be the vector of the soonest attack upon their independence.

Well, I think it will be the trigger hopefully generates more remailer's
in Europe. So far we only (since the evident demise of wein) have usura's
excellent
remailers in the Netherlands. It would be nice if more were placed overseas,
beyond the reach of U.S. pressure.

At least being able to add another couple in a chain (before your message
hits the U.S. remailers like underdog, jpunix, portal, et al) should
lessen the danger of ultimate compromise of your identity even further. I
suspect the Euro-remailer operators would likely just be able to thumb
their nose at whatever cries of outrage eminate from this side of the pond.

That would be a switch...Europe "liberating" North America! :>

Mark Terka     | werewolf@io.org             | public key (werewolf) by
Toronto,Canada | dg507@cleveland.freenet.edu | public key server or request