1994-11-18 - Re: Cash

Header Data

From: mpd@netcom.com (Mike Duvos)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f48c96bb7118d93269b39961de6243587f93caaded9a5a6d019f230e827f191d
Message ID: <199411182032.MAA16783@netcom16.netcom.com>
Reply To: <9411181925.AA26548@mirage.svl.trw.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-11-18 20:32:35 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 18 Nov 94 12:32:35 PST

Raw message

From: mpd@netcom.com (Mike Duvos)
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 94 12:32:35 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Cash

dwa@mirage.svl.trw.com (Dana Albrecht) writes:

 >> I've heard that airports will soon have "Money Detectors"
 >> that will count total cash carried per person. I'd like to
 >> figure out how the system works.

 > Assuming this is true, it would seem that even good, old
 > fashioned, paper currency doesn't provide the level of
 > anonymity that one would think.  Scary...

The strips are part of a program by the Feds to gradually
introduce features into currency which cannot be replicated on
high resolution digital color copiers.  I know of no technology
that would allow the strips to be detected at a distance which
would also be inexpensive enough to use in every bill and pose no
health risks to the person carrying the money.

Sounds like an urban myth to me, but I am willing to listen if
someone wishes to provide an plausable alternative explanation.

     mpd@netcom.com     $    via Finger.                      $

Thread