1994-12-07 - Re: Good times virus thing-a-ma-bobber

Header Data

From: “Ian Farquhar” <ianf@sydney.sgi.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 379a4a567007236c71c0c6e025637a344c5d9038a1e023d3cdfdefd3eb37eb94
Message ID: <9412071802.ZM15418@wiley.sydney.sgi.com>
Reply To: <941207010448.20216805@SCSUD.CTSTATEU.EDU>
UTC Datetime: 1994-12-07 07:08:02 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 6 Dec 94 23:08:02 PST

Raw message

From: "Ian Farquhar" <ianf@sydney.sgi.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 94 23:08:02 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Good times virus thing-a-ma-bobber

On Dec 7,  1:04am, ADAM GERSTEIN, _THE_ MACGURU wrote:
> Need I remind you of a certain Robert T. Morris? Does the "Internet Worm"
mean
> anything to you? Sure, it wasn't actual email, but it did use email and other
> means of transport to cripple the net in a matter of hours.

The Internet Worm used the sendmail DEBUG mode to execute commands on
a remote system.  It did not propogate itself via email messages, which was
what the original (ridiculous) warning claimed.

I can't feel a lot of sympathy for people who took this announcement
seriously.  Such stupidity reaps its own rewards.

						Ian.

Thread