1994-12-12 - Re: Crypto Declaration of Independance

Header Data

From: jamesd@netcom.com (James A. Donald)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 923188dc17ee28ecf2ff3dea8bd85a13d9d01599f7d95b6e0972ea0394e59b47
Message ID: <199412122116.NAA05404@netcom4.netcom.com>
Reply To: <199412120906.DAA09468@jpunix.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-12-12 21:17:46 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 12 Dec 94 13:17:46 PST

Raw message

From: jamesd@netcom.com (James A. Donald)
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 94 13:17:46 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Crypto Declaration of Independance

Anonymous writes
> I have a proposal for you all.
>
> I have started work on a Crypto Declaration of Independence, based on the
> famous American work which represents Independence.

This is unwise and unnecessary.

It is unwise because we do not wish to alert the government
to the fact that the net is largely ungoverned and ungovernable.

It is unnecessary because crypto is already covered by various
existing declarations on rights.

THE BILL OF RIGHTS

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law [...]
abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the
right of the people peaceably to assemble,[...]

Amendment II

[...] the right of the people to keep and bear
arms, shall not be infringed.

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses,
papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures,
shall not be violated,[...]

We have the right to defend ourselves and our
property, because of the kind of animals that we        James A. Donald
are.  True law derives from this right, not from
the arbitrary power of the omnipotent state.            jamesd@netcom.com

Thread