1995-01-27 - Re: Even more unix holy war. Was “Clinton freezes U.S. assets ..”

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@imsi.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 005c5b94862f493c4e004c14668d717b564d6c6517da82a87db4b86dc250b535
Message ID: <9501271543.AA18738@snark.imsi.com>
Reply To: <9501270512.AA00309@carbon.informix.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-01-27 15:43:47 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 27 Jan 95 07:43:47 PST

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@imsi.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 95 07:43:47 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Even more unix holy war. Was "Clinton freezes U.S. assets .."

jamesd@com.informix.com says:
> And did I mention that in DOS you can type
>    rename *.txt *.asc
> to turn all *.txt files into the corresponding *.asc file
>
> but that if in unix you type
>    mv *.txt *.asc
> not only will it not rename your *.txt files to be *.asc files, but
> if you have only two *.txt files it will silently destroy the
> second and issue no warning that anything has gone amiss.

In Unix, I can use a single command to delete an entire file tree --
rm -r. In DOS, I have to delete each directory by hand.

This isn't how you evaluate these things, James.

> And of course I have already mentioned the unix "make" utility.

DOS doesn't even have a make utility -- perhaps you should do without
using make ever again, as DOS is obviously superior.

Perry

Thread