1995-01-27 - JAMES DONALD FLAME WAR CONTINUED – DELETE BEFORE READING

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@imsi.com>
To: “James A. Donald” <jamesd@netcom.com>
Message Hash: 2387f65cd1c7f394bc968d0d6d90857da3a67e1d895ab71d7db7de7049e47e64
Message ID: <9501272327.AA20166@snark.imsi.com>
Reply To: <Pine.3.89.9501271325.A23224-0100000@netcom10>
UTC Datetime: 1995-01-27 23:28:16 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 27 Jan 95 15:28:16 PST

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@imsi.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 95 15:28:16 PST
To: "James A. Donald" <jamesd@netcom.com>
Subject: JAMES DONALD FLAME WAR CONTINUED -- DELETE BEFORE READING

JAMES DONALD FLAME WAR CONTINUED -- DELETE BEFORE READING

"James A. Donald" says:
> On Fri, 27 Jan 1995, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> > In Unix, I can use a single command to delete an entire file tree --
> > rm -r. In DOS, I have to delete each directory by hand.
>
> Use the command deltree /y.

It didn't exist until recently. Neither did utilities for moving
around files or directories.

> Or any of the cool third party
> utilities, or the windows file manager which offers a true
> hierarchical view unlike the hierarchical view offered by
> the sun OS file manager.

Oooh, sorry. You don't get to have it both ways. If you can talk about
third party utilities, then I get to point out that there are dozens
of cool third party file browsers. If I don't get to talk about third
party software, then you don't either.

> > DOS doesn't even have a make utility -- perhaps you should do without
> > using make ever again, as DOS is obviously superior.
>
> I wonder how I have been compiling my files all these years.

With make from third parties. If you want make on unix to do something
different, you can just get the sources (for free usually) and get it
do do anything you like.

And guess, by the way, where make was invented -- hint: not Microsoft.

.pm

Thread