1995-01-24 - Re: The Remailer Crisis

Header Data

From: eric@remailer.net (Eric Hughes)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 582b82388f4e85291df60b5bcce2b727bd772f23ace1815f80581d5c7fed0fbf
Message ID: <199501240400.UAA20706@largo.remailer.net>
Reply To: <9501232220.AA18684@anchor.ho.att.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-01-24 04:01:32 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 23 Jan 95 20:01:32 PST

Raw message

From: eric@remailer.net (Eric Hughes)
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 95 20:01:32 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: The Remailer Crisis

   From: wcs@anchor.ho.att.com

   Tim writes:
   > One thing I should've noted is that a Linux-based cheap remailer is
   > mostly useless without a "live connection" to the Net.

   I disagree - live connections  are great for fast-response systems,
   but we got along just fine in the uucp dialup world with occasional
   connections;

And if get someone to do secondary MX for you that _is_ fulltime
connected, then the only latency for mail is the poll time.  If you're
on an ISDN line, for example, you can get online and poll every five
minutes for ten seconds at a time (ten seconds only when there's no
mail), cutting down line charges for fulltime _idle_ connectivity by a
factor of thirty.  Not all that expensive at all, really.

Eric

Thread