1995-01-25 - Re: Here’s what will happen to U.S. based remailers

Header Data

From: Rick Busdiecker <rfb@lehman.com>
To: Samuel Kaplin <skaplin@mirage.skypoint.com>
Message Hash: 60b1072da8977d2c6401a7e61e48226a150ae451cb0d8b85ff26c240f7a864e6
Message ID: <9501250054.AA19991@cfdevx1.lehman.com>
Reply To: <Pine.SV4.3.91.950124161239.1512A-100000@mirage.skypoint.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-01-25 00:59:56 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 24 Jan 95 16:59:56 PST

Raw message

From: Rick Busdiecker <rfb@lehman.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 95 16:59:56 PST
To: Samuel Kaplin <skaplin@mirage.skypoint.com>
Subject: Re: Here's what will happen to U.S. based remailers

    Date: Tue, 24 Jan 1995 16:15:20 -0600 (CST)
    From: Samuel Kaplin <skaplin@mirage.skypoint.com>

    On Tue, 24 Jan 1995, Lucky Green wrote:

    > Many years ago, I read a poem by a German priest

    Is this the poem, Lucky?

         They [Nazis] came first for the Communists,
    and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.
         Then they came for the Jews,
    and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.
         Then they came for the Catholics,
    and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant.
         Then they came for me,
    and by that time there was no one left to speak up.
                             - Martin Niemller

Close.  You left out trade unionists and misspelled his last name, but
certainly got the bulk of it.  I'm typing from a pink triangular
button only because it's close by (pinned to my clinic escorting hat),
but I've previously verified that it matches the text from other
sources.  Of course, it may very well be a translation . . . .

I believe that Rishab Ghosh also sent an approximation of this text
out to the list a while back.

			Rick

	``In Germany they first came for the Communists, and I
	    didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.
	   Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak
	    up because I wasn't a Jew.  Then they came for
	      the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up
	       because I wasn't a trade unionist.  Then
		  they came for the Catholics, and I
		   didn't speak up because I was a
		   Protestant.  Then they came for
			me -- and by that time