1995-01-05 - Re: Remailer postage

Header Data

From: db@Tadpole.COM (Doug Barnes)
To: jpb@gate.net
Message Hash: 9d4dd00cff5c14fb8c34205c12d900598690a98f42f833736f4481d94eab86d2
Message ID: <9501052103.AA23382@tadpole.tadpole.com>
Reply To: <199501051802.NAA22909@seminole.gate.net>
UTC Datetime: 1995-01-05 21:03:52 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 5 Jan 95 13:03:52 PST

Raw message

From: db@Tadpole.COM (Doug Barnes)
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 95 13:03:52 PST
To: jpb@gate.net
Subject: Re: Remailer postage

I strongly agree with Tim that one should not look
down at for-profit anonymizing services. This is the
_only_ way I see to establish and maintain reliable
service and avoid spamming and denial of service.
It's also the only way such a service can scale if
it becomes suddenly popular -- if there's no increased
revenue, it's going to be harder to get more h/w and
bandwidth.

Even if one had a heart of gold and purely charitable
instincts, one would eventually come to the conclusion
that such a service operates better if users are
paying for it. And this is even before we address matters
like the benefits of competition.

Doug

Thread