1995-01-04 - Re: Regulatory Risks

Header Data

From: “James A. Donald” <jamesd@netcom.com>
To: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Message Hash: d991f1646b65ecfe0500c5182dbe2e328e6697dde14c5a5db420a44ebc005c6a
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9501041009.A14363-0100000@netcom10>
Reply To: <199501041514.AA02778@panix.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-01-04 19:06:45 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 4 Jan 95 11:06:45 PST

Raw message

From: "James A. Donald" <jamesd@netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 95 11:06:45 PST
To: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Subject: Re: Regulatory Risks

On Wed, 4 Jan 1995, Duncan Frissell wrote:

> So if the feds intend to regulate cyberspace, what specific sorts of
> regulations are possible at this point?
>
> Forget laws, what is *technically* and institutionally feasible?

Criminalize anonymity, and tell the internet providers to figure
out how to enforce it or face confiscation.

After that, they can get involved in the standards business to
ensure that when the current 32 bit internet address space
is upgraded, we go with a system where the technology
supports centralized administration rather than anarchy.

They can do it -- but they probably will not.  Recent political
events mean that such actions can only be done on presidential
authority.   It will be impossible to obtain new law to enforce
such measures for at least four years.

There will be eventually a big confrontation between governments
and liberty in cyberspace -- but I doubt that this is it.

This one can be won with a few letters to the editor.

We have the right to defend ourselves and our
property, because of the kind of animals that we        James A. Donald
are.  True law derives from this right, not from
the arbitrary power of the omnipotent state.            jamesd@netcom.com

Thread