1995-02-10 - Re: Not necessarily crypto but scary anyway…

Header Data

From: <dshayer@netcom.com> (David Shayer)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 93e68bc9131e2ecc05384a47bca62ec7444ab1db83fc8c9963c82138f21d9c7c
Message ID: <v02110101ab60a4d6d80d@DialupEudora>
Raw Date: Thu, 9 Feb 95 21:07:18 PST

Raw message

From: <dshayer@netcom.com> (David Shayer)
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 95 21:07:18 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Not necessarily crypto but scary anyway...

>A friend advises me that today House Bill 666 passed. This supposedly would
>allow police officers to use evidence collected illegaly if they 'believed'
>that it was collected in good faith.
>
>Any word on it?

Yes, this bill is real, and it passed the house resoundingly.  (I don't
know if the bill number is accurate.)  According to the ny times, the
republicans have been trying to pass this for a long time, and now they
control congress.

Interestingly, the ATF and IRS are specifically excluded!  The bill was
opposed by both civil liberties groups and gun nuts.  (Hope I don't offend
too many gun nuts.)  The ATF was excluded as a sop to the NRA I suppose.

During debate, Rep. John Dingell (MI) called the ATF "jackbooted American
fascists."  Way to go John!

David

|David Shayer                                 dshayer@netcom.com         |
|Sentient Software / Symantec                 shayer@applelink.apple.com |
|"Shoot Newt."                                                           |