1995-07-13 - Re: Anti-Electronic Racketeering Act of 1995

Header Data

From: alex <cp@proust.suba.com>
To: mclow@coyote.csusm.edu (Marshall Clow)
Message Hash: 0e1196c67d9bb39525359bf8afb00176a9fa89e93fbf0b40f9f68d5e6f8b4cd9
Message ID: <199507131802.NAA01316@proust.suba.com>
Reply To: <ac2afc0c00021003cf47@[144.37.6.21]>
UTC Datetime: 1995-07-13 17:58:39 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 13 Jul 95 10:58:39 PDT

Raw message

From: alex <cp@proust.suba.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 95 10:58:39 PDT
To: mclow@coyote.csusm.edu (Marshall Clow)
Subject: Re: Anti-Electronic Racketeering Act of 1995

>     IANAL, but it seems to me that if I EMAIL a copy of PGP to, say, Tim
> May, that I have just "distributed computer software .... to a computer
> network ...accessible to foreign nationals ..." even though it was
> "private" e-mail.

It seems to me that this bill is so broad as to be unworkable, and that
could work in our favor.  I haven't read the full text, and I'm not a
lawyer, but my reading of the excerpts posted here suggest that even stuff
that's been *approved* for export by NSA could be prohibited.

What would be the status of stuff like NIS+ under this bill?  The
Netscape commerce server?

Thread