1995-07-13 - Re: def’n of “computer network”

Header Data

From: Jon Lasser <jlasser@rwd.goucher.edu>
To: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@imsi.com>
Message Hash: 0f221fd0499518bcb79146dce6c4b70b97e6952954ccd72a2a5f843dfafde1f3
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.950713154546.22974A-100000@rwd.goucher.edu>
Reply To: <9507131946.AA12904@snark.imsi.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-07-13 19:53:53 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 13 Jul 95 12:53:53 PDT

Raw message

From: Jon Lasser <jlasser@rwd.goucher.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 95 12:53:53 PDT
To: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@imsi.com>
Subject: Re: def'n of "computer network"

On Thu, 13 Jul 1995, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Although I hardly oppose the construction of "headerless"
> cryptographic protocols, they make key management in any sort of a
> reasonable system a living hell. If you work for an organization
> maintaining a reasonable number of keys -- say a few hundred at some
> institution -- you will have to linearly search them to find which one
> is the right one. What a royal pain.

Hmmm.  no arguement.  But seeing as it might all soon be illegal, I'd
rather it be a possible pain than just plain impossible.

> Rapid deployment in ordinary software is, of course, preferable.

It would seem that we may be approaching the criminalization of crypto.
In which case we'd still be in trouble.  Because they might criminalize
the /use/ of crypto.

Jon
Jon Lasser                <jlasser@rwd.goucher.edu>            (410) 494-3253
          Visit my home page at http://www.goucher.edu/~jlasser/
  You have a friend at the NSA: Big Brother is watching. Finger for PGP key.

Thread