1995-07-17 - Re: Deployment

Header Data

From: stewarts@ix.netcom.com (Bill Stewart)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4bae9079174d3d3c62cf710a1db7dfbd084623bc338965538b7e5dc125f33ce1
Message ID: <199507170827.BAA12427@ix6.ix.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 17 Jul 95 01:29:17 PDT

Raw message

From: stewarts@ix.netcom.com (Bill Stewart)
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 95 01:29:17 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Deployment

> > So, anyone want to volunteer to port Privtool to Windows ?
> Uh, pardon my ignorance, but what is privtool, and why is it
> a good thing to port it to windows?
> (As compared to the task of integrating PGP into microsofts
> mail tool.)

It's an open-system mail tool resembling Sun's mailtool with PGP support added.
Open-system tools are one of those vanguard things :-)
(So are convenient GUI-development tools.)
I no longer have a nearby Sun machine to play on, so I haven't played with it,
but if it's got a well-done interface it's worth porting or stealing concepts
from to include in other systems.  I've heard that Microsoft's new mail tools
are far less brain-damaged than the Microsoft Mail I've grown to know and hate,
which assumes any message that's more than a few lines will be an attached
document with maybe some optional intro and leftover mail headers,
and chokes on messages with more than 30K of text in the body (choking badly
on more than 64K).  (Apparently, part of the reason for this evil is the fault
of Visual Basic and/or Visual C++, which are convenient GUI development
tools...)

On the other hand, integrating it into Free Eudora for Windows would be
pleasant,
if that's doable (I forget it source is available.)
#                                Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, Freelance Information Architect, stewarts@ix.netcom.com

Thread