1995-08-04 - Re: Java, Netscape, OpenDoc, and Babel

Header Data

From: Rich Salz <rsalz@osf.org>
To: tcmay@sensemedia.net
Message Hash: 9969a51b239266327637f56c9052f805cc5c55a43ec96ba2c0467094836d7c4d
Message ID: <9508040342.AA23479@sulphur.osf.org>
Raw Date: Thu, 3 Aug 95 20:43:05 PDT

Raw message

From: Rich Salz <rsalz@osf.org>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 95 20:43:05 PDT
To: tcmay@sensemedia.net
Subject: Re: Java, Netscape, OpenDoc, and Babel

>Perry -- do you have the same basic objection to Safe-TCL that you do
>do to Java?  I would think so.

Safe-TCL comes from a different starting place.  For example, the original
intent was to actually remove all the dangerous operations such as
file manipulation.  As Perry's explained, this is different, and better,
then just having the run-time "guarantee" that all file I/O is in a
"Safe" place.

Claimer:  I invented safe-tcl, started by creating a mailing list with
Ousterhout and Borenstein.  Disclaimer:  I walked away in disgust with
the announcement of "enabled mail" so they may have broken things.
	/r$

Thread