1995-08-27 - Re: SSL trouble

Header Data

From: Will French <wfrench@interport.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: c4c2b2da66f2e74c712418cc9421d9b33c81c377319ea13479b4c0c28cd109c0
Message ID: <199508270432.AAA20728@interport.net>
Raw Date: Sat, 26 Aug 95 21:35:56 PDT

Raw message

From: Will French <wfrench@interport.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 95 21:35:56 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: SSL trouble

>>   I don't get it.  If the challenge is partly secret, how
>> will I know if I crack the code?

> You don't thats how we make sure that you can't crack the code
> and not tell everyone else.

  Why would I want to do such a thing?  And if I did, why would
anyone care?

> Its a matter of principle, we should ensure that the key
> breaking service is not itself subject to cryptanalytic
> attacks.

  Absolutely.  And the simplest way to do that is to use the
random method!

>   One small point, cryptanalysis equipment is also covered by
> ITAR restrictions.

  What is the significance of this rather ominous warning?

Will French  <wfrench@interport.net>

Thread