1995-09-21 - Seeds which depend on machine states

Header Data

From: MIGUELDIAZ@megaweb.com (Miguel Diaz)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7316f0f4a80621752aeabb1c600804e2e063b03e03af19fb47786daeeb1dcad6
Message ID: <199509211044.GAA25896@mail-e1a.megaweb.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 21 Sep 95 03:46:42 PDT

Raw message

From: MIGUELDIAZ@megaweb.com (Miguel Diaz)
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 95 03:46:42 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Seeds which depend on machine states

It is my suspicion that seeds which depend on machine
states(ie state of your computer at a specific instance of
time) would always be subject to scrutiny and de-cryption.
As long as the software used to encrypt is not self-modifying,
the machine state can (through careful manipulation involving
temperature, clocks, processes etc)always be replicated and
fixed to an acceptable degree.
This allows you to look into the heart of the encryption
method and then create a plan to decode based on a brute-force
attack.  Time is the only friend then of the encryptor and
unfortunately in the case of credit cards this typically is
measured in years. Plenty of time for brute force attacks to
yield fruit.  I'll be gone for two days. will respond to any
comments Saturday.

Thread