1995-09-15 - Re: Why ecash is traceable

Header Data

From: kelso@netcom.com (Tom Rollins)
To: pfarrell@netcom.com
Message Hash: 7ba8ab165de7c128bdf194e827ce37e2d0f4bd1ead9c53b08db2a2023f5baba7
Message ID: <199509151220.FAA00243@netcom4.netcom.com>
Reply To: <28922.pfarrell@netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-09-15 12:23:39 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 15 Sep 95 05:23:39 PDT

Raw message

From: kelso@netcom.com (Tom Rollins)
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 95 05:23:39 PDT
To: pfarrell@netcom.com
Subject: Re: Why ecash is traceable

Pat Farrell says:
> Because you lose most (all?) anonymous abilities. (I think)
> So when the money Alice gave to Bob gets deposited by TCMay,
> That it was Alice's is instantly known. This is not how physical cash works.
>
> There is a chain from TCMay through some number of steps to Bob.
> Even if you can't find it with this single case, you could use
> a zero-knowledge type proof to slowly uncover Bob's identity.
>
> I keep wanting to believe in ecash, but I'm not convinced
> it can exist.

Just a little humor...
Perhaps Electronic Cash has a sound.
Phone Phreakers have something called a Redbox.
This device makes the sound of a quarter.
When an ATT pay phone asks you to deposit $1.75
you just make the sound of 7 quarters... :)

Thread