1995-09-26 - Hack Microsoft?

Header Data

From: Ray Cromwell <rjc@clark.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 8b663f4c3dcf81c95aeedb8ed226b15ee8e0906f2c24d7758823c54a625026e6
Message ID: <199509260404.AAA14297@clark.net>
Raw Date: Tue, 26 Sep 95 06:10:22 PDT

Raw message

From: Ray Cromwell <rjc@clark.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 95 06:10:22 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Hack Microsoft?

   Microsoft recently got C2-security status approved for Windows NT by
the National Computer Security Center, a division of the NSA. They
are supposed to put systems through "laborious testing and review" before
they approve C2. So, if one can find bugs in NT's security, one can
toss a little more egg on the NSA's face and the sham that part of
their activies to *help* to secure american computers. A simple
violation of NT's C2 status would be to demostrate a flaw in it's
memory protection implementation. Personally, I think NT is
*riddled* with bugs waiting to be discovered. Hell, even the
NT "service pack" is included in the C2 status, which I bet
has plenty of holes.

  If Cypherpunks can find flaws that the NSA can't, or won't divulge,
what does that say about their so-called COMSEC ability.

-Ray

Thread